The I Will If You Will series of 10-week running programmes is returning next month to help get more people more active.
These are led by trained volunteers who will take participants through a walk/run programme aimed at beginners, finishing in Week 10 with a 5K run at the Great Run Local weekly event in Burrs Country Park.
The Sport England funded I Will if You Will initiative last year funded LiRF (Leadership in Running Fitness) training for 16 Bury volunteers who ran the 0-5K programmes. These were a huge success, with 221 participants and 1,212 attendees recorded over the 10-week period.
Although the external funding has ended, the volunteers have stepped forward again to keep the programmes going, thereby encouraging more people to become active in a fun, social setting and enjoying the outdoors in Bury’s Green Flag parks. Two of this year’s new volunteers took part in last year’s runs.
Timetables for the 10-week programmes are as follows:
- Thursdays, 8 March to 10 May – Nuttall Park (Programme A) – 11.30am to 12.30pm.
- Saturdays, 17 March to 19 May – Burrs Country Park (Programme A) – 3pm to 4pm.
- Thursdays, 29 March to 31 May – Burrs Country Park (Programme B) – 7pm to 8pm.
- Tuesdays, 17 April to 19 June – Close Park – 7pm to 8pm.
- Fridays, 4 May to 6 July – Nuttall Park (Programme B) – 7pm to 8pm.
To book your place, go to http://bit.ly/2GqBou5
For ladies looking for 0-5K programmes in the south of Bury, please visit The Prestwich Plodders on Facebook, whose volunteers have also had LiRF training so that they can lead runs for their 800 members.